December 16, 2010

What do you aspire to do in the New Year?

   As a mom, I have to be ready for change at the drop of a hat! Kids grow, personalities change, and life races by at warp speed when you're a parent so you have to be prepared for things to never stay the same!
I love my life, and I wouldn't trade being a stay at home mom for anything. But as my children get older, I find that I want to start working on "me" and what I want to be when I "grow up!" Before I had children, I was in college working towards a Political Science degree, but once my first son was born, I knew my true calling was to be a mother and I'm so blessed to be able to be home with my sons. Becoming a mother has led me to a new passion: Breastfeeding. Breastfeeding for my family has been such an important part of our mother/son relationship. While it doesn't define me, it is a big part of who I am. I worked hard to establish this relationship with both of my children, and am blessed that I have been able to breastfeed both for beyond a year (and counting!) This new found love has led me to a new career path beyond motherhood: becoming a Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC). And that is what I aspire to be in the New Year. I've been researching  schools and I think I've found the right one to help me reach this goal. I feel I can put my own personal experience and passion for breastfeeding to good use and help other mothers in my communities who may be struggling with nursing. I'm so grateful to the CLC I met when my youngest was in the NICU, she is part of the reason I was able to be successful with breastfeeding even when my son was unable to nurse for 8 days. I think it so important to have someone to talk to about these struggles, so that you don't feel alone when it doesn't come naturally like everyone told you it would-I know personally it meant so much to have someone who could relate to my issues. Being a mom provides a sort of camaraderie between woman, but being a breastfeeding mom is a sisterhood that I'm so blessed to be apart of.
What are your goals for 2011? What do you hope to achieve in the New Year? Go for it! It's never to late get started, whether it's weight loss, rock climbing, taking a overseas vacation, or just have more time with your family. Happy New Year!

Oprah Winfrey NetworkThe New Oprah Winfrey Network



I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network blogging program, for a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you are following something you believe so strongly in! It'll be great for you to be able to help other mom's and you have a good knowledgeable background to help you get on your feet. As always, I look up to you sister :)