January 23, 2011

Where are my mamas at?

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one in my town that has even heard of the benefits of extended breastfeeding, or know the ease of safe babywearing or the joys of safe co sleeping. Luckily our ped. is very supportive of breasfeeding but other than that I'm met with the "deer in the headlights look" if I even mention breastfeeding!
And then I was talking to one of the other moms at the preschool while waiting for the kids to get out of school and she started talking about her 20 month old daughter that was sharing snacks with my 17 month old and how she wishes she wasn't so picky but thank goodness she was still nursing! My jaw about hit the floor, and I said "wow, I hope you don't think I'm weird for saying this but I'm so happy to hear you say that! I have yet to meet one person in this town that breastfeeds beyond 6 months" and I told her Benny still nursed as well. She said that her kids usually wean between 2 and 3 and that they usually bed-shared until that time too. It was so nice to talk to someone who did things similar to the way I do things in our family!

No matter how you do things in your home, is it important to you to surround yourself with like minded mothers? Or as long as everyone gets along, is that all that matters?



0 comments: