October 29, 2011

October 29th is World Stroke Day!

Today is World Stroke Day-Earlier this year, my little world was rocked when my dad suffered at least 2 strokes (that we know of). It is so hard to watch a man who was so strong and so full of life laying in a bed struggling to move and talk. I will never forget that day of seeing him the first time after his stroke. Seven months later, he has learned to walk with assistance, has the majority of his speech back, and is working hard in therapy to get stronger. I'm so proud of not only my dad in his courage and willingness to work hard, but of my mom who is handicapped herself yet has been there helping him every step of the way.

From the World Stroke Campaign website:


"Every six seconds, regardless of age or gender, a sister, brother, wife, husband, daughter, son, partner, mother, father or friend will die from a stroke. Stroke is the second leading cause of death for people above the age of 60, and the fifth leading cause in people aged 15 to 59. Stroke also attacks children, including newborns. Each year, nearly six million people die from stroke. In fact, stroke is responsible for more deaths every year than those attributed to AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria put together – three diseases which have set the benchmark for successful public health advocacy, capturing the attention of the world’s media and which consequently has provoked world leaders, governments and many sectors of civil society to act.

Stroke is indiscriminate and does not respect borders. Individual countries cannot address the challenges of stroke in isolation. World Stroke Day brings together advocacy groups, patient survivor support networks, volunteer stroke societies, public health authorities, physicians, nurses and others within the allied health professions including civil society at-large, for a collaborative approach to comprehensive stroke education, advocacy, prevention, treatment and long-term care and support for stroke survivors."

I am sure that many, if not all, know someone affected by a stroke. If you're looking for a charitable donation this year, I strongly encourage the World Stroke Campaign, or others like it.
There are amazing powers at work in the people that help care for stroke survivors. I'm so thankful to everyone who has helped my dad along the way, including all of my friend and family who sent prayers, cards, good thoughts-each and everyone of you are amazing and I know we couldn't have made it through those first few months without your shoulders to lean on. 

My amazing parents at a summer wedding. Love them and so proud of them!

Disclaimer: I shared this post in honor of my dad, no compensation was given.

0 comments: